Etsy

Monday, July 6, 2015

School's Out...Rug Hooking School that is

My trip to Montpelier Vermont to the Green Mountain Rug School was a very pleasant experience. The accommodations were very nice and the hotel was located in the middle of town on a street lined with many great places to eat and little shops, even a farmer's market. I met many nice women "hookers" at  breakfast and lunch served daily in the ballroom.


 photo 2015-06-18 14.23.25_zpseznuo3ew.jpg



After our meals we all went to our respective classes to learn and hook. It was reminiscent of the quilting bees held in the olden days.


I wasn't really sure of what to bring in preparation of the class and spread my wool all over the house trying to decide what I would need.
 photo 2015-06-20 12.48.24_zpslrmanebg.jpg  

As usual, I made quite a mess. I've had to admit these days, that I make a lot of messes of my own.
 photo 2015-06-20 12.48.46_zpsr62eiayt.jpg



I started cutting bunches of over-dyed wool that I had in my stash and never really knew what to do with. I began formulating an idea of what my motif for the class would be. I had a lot of cool colors like turquoise and teal.
 photo 2015-06-26 11.03.49_zpshfsl0xsr.jpg




Shortly after arriving and meeting some of the ladies, I met three ladies that live 20 to 30 miles from me. We are going to start hooking together. That fact, and getting to know my teacher are two of the highlights of the rug school.
My teacher, Karen Schellinger, is an author of the book Dyeing Wool and has a degree in Natural Health & Holistic Nutrition. She also teaches children and adults by employing  various forms of art therapy. She is an interesting educator and a very compassionate woman.
 photo 2015-06-25 10.11.45_zpsifqvar8f.jpg

We had the opportunity to dye our own wool in a workshop under her supervision and guidance.
 photo 2015-06-25 10.14.05_zpsund48sgx.jpg






 photo 2015-06-25 10.16.23_zpspvwev2zd.jpg



We came up with some awesome pots of wool.
This is one of mine with all the different scraps.



 photo 2015-06-25 10.16.41_zpsz7noxfw0.jpg



Karen showed us a tip to try when your water is boiling and you haven't added any dye yet. She dropped two natural colored strips of wool into the pot with the scraps.


 photo 2015-07-02 12.24.46_zpscpasv4x9.jpg



Before adding any dye at all, a certain amount of color bleeds out of the wool creating very subtle results. This is a step worth remembering to get soft color for a certain background, in this case, sky or water.
 
 photo 2015-06-25 10.12.43_zps2edkcqsg.jpg



Karen had draped wool strips at our work stations that she had dyed while writing her book.


 photo 2015-06-25 10.12.29_zpsv5xpcuxn.jpg



Very inspiring pieces and all techniques are featured in her book.


 photo 2015-06-25 10.13.03_zpsl4owqutk.jpg



We turned the drabbest wool into pieces of art in less than 2 hours.


 photo 2015-06-25 10.14.24_zps02kauza0.jpg



I used shades of indigo and teal in my dye pot and my idea of what I wanted to hook really took hold. 


 photo 2015-06-26 11.03.21_zpsuiuhbhhi.jpg



That afternoon, with the rest of the class and learning about Zentangle, my idea came into fruition.


 photo 2015-06-26 20.12.28_zps6dd7deex.jpg



Everyone had a plan on what to hook now and the fun began. I had to plan a motif around the colors I had before me and peacock feathers were all I could see!


 photo 2015-06-27 11.40.49_zpsx2h0bhcb.jpg



I quickly drew the feathery outline of the tail end of a peacock and some giant plumes and I was ready to hook.
By the time we had our Round Robin time of sharing, the pattern of bold colors and wispy feathers started to emerge.
The entire time at GMRS was so much fun and it was inspirational to see everyone's talent and styles. From whimsical to traditional to bold, everyone was working on something and I wished I had asked my fellow "hookers" if I could take pictures of their projects. The funniest part of the dyeing workshop was how everyone tried to dry their wool in time to start hooking with it the next morning or even that same afternoon. I had my wool draped over the windowsills, hanging from lamps and luggage racks and over the shower rod of my hotel room. It was a great learning experience and a pleasure to meet so many fellow "hookers". We will check in with each other from time to time to share our projects I'm sure. Many thanks to Karen for sharing her knowledge of dyeing and color theory, but especially for her wisdom and compassion.


One more thing, I promised to share my autumn rug pattern by Joan Moshimer called "Pine Woods".


 photo 2013-09-26 11.34.08_zpsksabwj1y.jpg



My goal for finishing is September.
Thanks for dropping by and feel free to comment or just say Hi.















3 comments:

  1. What an amazing class you attended! Your rug is going to be beautiful with all those brilliant blues - so glad I found your blog (and I've send a friend request to you on Instagram too)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been using the "accidental" pieces for the water background on the whale rugs. So glad you discovered my blog and instagram feed. Thanks for the comments, please stop by again and feel free to share what you are working on as well. There are no hookers near me! I love what you are working on, such an old fashioned motif is timeless. Well, as you can see I have a lot of work to do with this blog. Still need to figure out how to apply a background. I will get to it next season, just need to take the time. It was so nice of you to stop by and share and thank you for the kind words on my rug, the finished work is posted on my IG feed. Will be a pleasure to share again anytime. Marilou

      Delete
    2. Hi Marilou - It was fun to find your blog and Instagram feed too! Fun that we have so much in common I think. FYI - Usually, when someone leaves a comment on my blog post, I receive an email from them which I can reply to and we can carry on a bit of a conversation. I noticed that you left a comment recently, but I didn't receive an email. I think it might be because of your settings? Lori, of Humble Quilts blog, has written this helpful post http://humblequilts.blogspot.com/2013/11/are-you-no-reply-commenter.html about how to fix things up - hope you can take a look and figure it out? If I don't see people's posts and reply, I worry that they think I'm being rude, and that's certainly not the case! Good luck.

      Delete