Etsy

Sunday, May 31, 2015

Nature's Bounty

I am simply amazed by the bounty of beautiful blooms that have erupted this May, it's been quite a display. We got our flower and garden fix when we visited Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square, PA earlier this month, but noticed when we got home that things were looking pretty lush and vibrant in our own gardens.

 photo 2015-05-11 11.49.42_zpsu5wzkmas.jpg


We got home in time to see our Crabapple trees in bloom and the Azalea bush our daughter got us years ago.

 photo 2015-05-09 11.10.10_zpsueyy0ilp.jpg


Some of the perennials that had been planted years ago really are thriving as well, to my surprise.

 photo 2015-05-09 11.10.25_zpszokiprlh.jpg


You really have to persevere with your plantings every year, as you never know what will endure the long cold winters we have. Nature's bounty has been rich. So glad this Bleeding Heart is thriving...it's the small things.

 photo 2015-05-11 18.30.23_zps9onagnkl.jpg


I am always cautiously optimistic about what will show up in the rock terraces every spring. The Jonquils are thriving, as are the Lupines and a clump of Heather. I just planted the Day Lillies, adding a nice pop of color. The trick is to plant things that can get enough sun to get established before the leaves come on the surrounding trees...so far, so good.

 photo 2015-05-29 11.33.33_zpsy9ttmzfe.jpg


I love these irises that were given to me, this is the second good year of blooms...

 photo 2015-05-24 08.59.54_zpsqshvdp91.jpg


I have planted 70 Gladiola bulbs due to blossom mid August, always love the mystery of colors that I get!
I have planted many more perennials that I look forward to blossoming this year.

 photo 2015-05-29 11.32.45_zpsxvyjfaxc.jpg


Next up will be Hydrangeas, Foxglove, Black-eyed Susans and who knows. I'll take whatever Nature's Bounty has to offer.

 photo 2015-05-11 11.50.21_zpsruqpqtlx.jpg


While I have taken a little break from rug hooking to enjoy the yard and flowers, do some planting, and get the outside areas ready for barbeques and swimming, I am ready to resume hooking my autumn themed rug to have complete by September.
I will tell you about it next post...meanwhile enjoy the beauty around you.
Marilou

1 comment: